Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This is why I hate mowing the grass

Since I am off for the summer with nothing to do extremely busy at home with the girls, which is a full time job, I picked up most all of the house hold chores. Including mowing. Yes, me! The one who hates being outside unless it involves the pool. I am doing all of the mowing at the Pfeiffer residence. And, well frankly, it stinks.
Of course we had to buy a mower that bags the grass because it looks so much nicer, which I totally appreciate when I am done and the girls are playing in the water and don't have grass all over them, tracking it in the house. That I like. Bagging it though, stinks too. I am sure that my neighbors get a real kick out of me when I mow the grass. I practically have to wrangle the lawn bag and the grass bagger to get the grass in there so it doesn't go all over, which it usually does anyway despite my valiant efforts.
Yesterday I really gave my viewers a show while I was mowing. As I was mowing along the side of the house, I moved the thing that catches water. I saw something move but I thought it was a frog so I was really careful not to run over it. A few seconds later I see something dart across in front of the mower and into my neighbors yard. As I turned my head I realized that it most certainly was not a frog. It was a mouse! A small, gross, black mouse! It dug a little hole in their yard and disappeared. I screamed so loud that the I'm sure everyone heard me. I let go of the mower and when I released the handle it stopped the motor. Instead of gathering myself in an adult way, I jumped in circles, waving my hands in a motion that looked like jazz hands, and screaming for about three minutes. I'm not quite sure what I thought that would accomplish other than me looking like a total idiot because anyone watching me would not have seen the mouse but just that I totally spazzed out for no apparent reason.
I would like to tell you that this behavior is not typical when I mow the grass but it is. Especially when I see bees. I always think they are going to get so mad at me when I mow over them, so I spaz out in the same manner when they fly close to me. So mowing the grass...really stinks for me.
I really want one of those industrial mowers that are huge and mow like five rows to my one. Kind of like this one that I took a picture of while the men were mowing around the pond beyond our yard line. I think I know I looked like a real creeper trying to take a picture from my sliding glass door at the person outside. I was trying to be sly but he saw me take a picture of him. I bet I'll hear from the association for stalking or something. I really didn't want him in the picture, just his nice mower.  I wonder if he spazzes out when he mows sometimes?

3 comments:

Emma and Greg said...

HAHAHAHA! This is the best mowing story ever! And I completely agree that mowing stinks, but i must give you the bravest mom award because i have never encountered such crazy cridders! :) YIKES! Love and miss you!

Nick and Jill Juday said...

Oh my gosh I love this!! Wish I could have witness all of this! :)

Miss you! :)

Anonymous said...

It's funny you mention the "big" mower that would mow 5 rows to our one. I drove by a guy using one today and my thoughts were "gee, that would be cool, mowing that much at once." I wondered if I would take all 3 of my dilapidated mowers in if they would trade me for one like that. But I am sure sure they would not, as those mowers are probably very expensive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails