Of course, it wouldn't be a Kacina post if something embarrassing or out of the ordinary didn't happen. So I won't disappoint all of you. On the last day of the workshop, I told Julie how much I wanted to get a picture with Frank. I mean he is a famous author of children's books and professional books and has lots of articles published about children's literature. Who the heck wouldn't want their picture with him?
We were sitting at our table during a break and he was just hanging out at the front. Julie told me to go up and ask him but I wouldn't because I thought that would sound like a really weird request (obviously I prefer taking pictures of people when they don't know I'm taking one of them like my lawn mowing guy because that is much less weird). I kind of put the idea out of my head as we began to talk about something unrelated. Within about five minutes Frank was back around our table talking to the Barns and Noble representative behind us. I turned and looked and accidentally made direct eye contact, basically inviting him over to chat. I froze like a deer in headlights and my mind went completely blank. I saw him say hi and move toward us like he was going to engage in conversation with us and everything professional that I would have talked to him about left my brain. Instead, after a few seconds of awkward silence, I blurted out that I wanted my picture with him. I felt the need to explain why and began babbling about blogging.
He was so nice and told me he would oblige as long as I didn't photo shop him naked. I promised I wouldn't do that, mostly because I don't have photo shop and don't know how. Then he told me to send him my blog and he would TWEET it out. That's right. He wants to tweet my blog. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as being somewhat famous. Thank you Dr. Frank Serafini, thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment