Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Future occupations for Kinsey & Kaitlyn

Yesterday I had to go to the doctor.  It was just a follow up so I decided that taking the kids with me would be ok.  I went fully prepared and had both girls take something to to keep them occupied.  Kinsey took her Nintendo DS and Kaitlyn took her Leapster handheld.  Luckily, we got right in and the doc was in the room within five minutes of us getting back to the room.

The doctor mentioned it was time for some routine lab work and she would send in the girl to take a few viles of blood.  I didn't think the girls were paying any attention to our conversation and as soon as the doctor walked out...
Kaitlyn: "Mom, are they going to take all of your blood?  How do they get that blood out of you?"
Me: "They use a needle.  It doesn't hurt and it will only take a few seconds."
Kinsey: "Well, I hope they put your blood back. They shouldn't take it away without giving it back to you."
Me: "I don't need it back.  Our bodies make more blood to replace what we loose."
Kaitlyn: "What if they take too much?"
Me: "They won't."

Just then the lady walks in to take my blood.  As soon as she stuck me, Kinsey turned white as ghost and turned away either ready to pass out or get sick.  Kaitlyn, however, stood up right beside the nurse and had her face as close as she could get it to the needle.  She must have asked the nurse a hundred questions.

"Why does that blood come out so fast?  Where did you learn how to do that?  Does that hurt, Mommy?  Why are you bleeding?  Will you get a bandage, Mom?  Do you have princess bandages?  What are you going to do with her blood?  Are you going to keep it?  Kinsey said you have to put it back.  Are you going to put it back?"

She asked so many questions in the two minutes it took to take blood that no one had any time to answer anything she asked.  After the nurse left, Kaitlyn turned to me and asked excitedly, "Can they do that again?"

From across the room, under her breath, Kinsey mumbled, "Ugh, I hope not!"  I laughed and realized that Kinsey will probably never have a job in the medical field while Kaitlyn stands a pretty good chance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Kaitlyn, you go girl!!!

Kara @ Just1Step said...

Haha that's so cute!! I definitely would have been the one turning white.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails