Friday, October 22, 2010

Light bulb hoarder

I tend to get really excited when I find coupons that are worth more than $1.00.  And there was no shortage of excitement when I received a coupon in the mail from my energy company for a free six pack of compact fluorescent light bulbs (the ones that last 5 years!) worth $11.88.  I was so excited that I assembled my coupons for the rest of my shopping trip and went a whole day early because I couldn't wait to see that $11.88 come off of my total at the register.
This coupon couldn't have come at a better time.  Both of my bathrooms have light fixtures with three bulbs.  The one in the master bathroom has had two lights out for about a month now.  The one in the main bathroom has had one bulb out for probably a month too.  So getting these means that I can replace them and restore the full brightness in there.
When I checked out, I ended up saving a total of close to $40.  Plus I used a coupon on Jason's birthday gift earlier that morning...so a total savings of about $50 with all of my coupons.  It was shaping up to be a pretty awesome day.  When I got home, I started putting away all of my groceries.  All the while I kept my shopping receipt on the counter staring at it and marveling at what a great job I did saving money today.  As I started putting things in my pantry, I noticed that there was a lot of stuff on the very top shelf that made it hard to put my light bulbs away.
I decided it was probably time to clean it out so I began taking stuff down.  As I began pulling things off of the top shelf, I started to see a recurring theme of things.  Everything that was on the shelf...were light bulbs.

And, no, this does not include the new light bulbs that I just purchased.  What made me feel really annoyed is that I already had a package of the exact same ones I was so excited about getting for free!
It did force me to replace the ones in the bathroom finally.

In other news:  I won't be buying light bulbs for another 10 years.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails