Monday, October 18, 2010

Chocolate milk mishap

Last Friday my phone in my classroom rang.  I answered expecting an adult voice on the other end.  However, to my surprise, it was my daughter calling from her classroom upstairs.  "Hi, mommy.  I spilled chocolate milk on my shirt at lunch," she very calmly tells me.  Luckily, I this was just as I was getting ready to take my class to lunch so I had some time to find her some clothes.  We always keep extra uniform clothes in our building so I didn't think it would be a problem to find a shirt to quickly change her into.  I told her to come down to my class and I would find something for her to wear.  As soon as I saw her...I about died.  The whole "chocolate milk on my shirt" thing was quite an understatement.  It looked as though someone had dumped two cartons of chocolate milk on her whole body.  Her pants were soaked-not just down the entire front but all over the back, too.  It was splattered all over as if she had been playing in it.  I've never seen a milk spill like this before!  I honestly think it was an all out milk fight.
So began my hunt to completely redress my child.  Of course, we didn't have a single piece of clothing in her actual size.  We had about eighty five size 7 slim pairs of pants.  I grabbed one and made her shimmy in them.  I told her suck in her belly so I could fasten them.  She sucked in as much as she could and they just popped open.  I was half way between laughing and crying.  Because it was kind of funny but I honestly didn't know what in the heck I was going to put her in to finish the rest of the day.  
I went back to the clothes closet and found a size 5 skirt.  Yep.  A size 5.  It had an elastic waist band so I thought it could work.  I put it on her and it was about as small as I thought it would be.  Borderline inappropriate for a 6 year old.  It had to be the most uncomfortable thing ever but I had no choice.  I sent her back to class in a short sleeve polo, a skirt four sizes too small and her tennis shoes.  She looked like a mess.  
I felt so bad about how uncomfortable she must be.  I went to one last teacher that I thought might have some extra clothes and asked if she had anything in a regular size 7.  She told me she thought she might.  I went in and looked and found a pair of pants that were the right size.  I pulled Kinsey out of class and changed her once again.  Luckily, the pants fit perfect!  Even though they didn't match the dry shirt I put on her, at that point, I really didn't care.  
I was worried that the chocolate milk would stain her pants.  After working a little magic...they're good as new!  I just wish I would have taken a before shot of what they looked like so you knew what the damage was before.  

I think I might start keeping extra school clothes in my car from now on.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails