Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Proud parents

So you know how every parent thinks their children are all amazing?  Well, I admit that I fit right in with "those" parents.  I don't think it's that we have a distorted view of reality.  I think it's that we get so wrapped up in life that when we sit back and notice how they are growing and learning, it amazes us how quickly they change.  And all that change...well, it tends to make parents pretty proud. 
Kinsey, recently started working with some of the student teachers in our building, along with about four other students in her class, on reading second grade material.  She brought home her copy of the text (which was a play) and read me every single part.  It is so awesome to listen to her read and use all kinds of skills that I didn't even know she knew to figure things out.  Last night we were practicing her spelling words and she had five bonus words.  She spelled the following words correctly on the first try:  voyage, Columbus, sail, ship, ocean.  I was shocked that she got all of these.  She was pretty shocked too and ran to Jason and made him look right away as if they would disappear if he didn't see them.  Sometimes it's hard to remember she is only 6.  She just amazes us everyday!
I have been working with Kaitlyn on the -at word family.  We have been looking at books and finding words with -at.  While Kinsey and I were practicing spelling words, Kaitlyn joined us and wanted to spell some words too.  I thought I would give it a try and have her try spelling some -at words with different initial sounds.  To my amazement, she was able to spell all four words I gave her by herself.  
Then she really wanted mermaid to be one of her spelling words.   I spelled it for her out loud and she wrote it.  After that, she just wanted to go play with her mermaids and not spell anymore -at words for me.  She was super pumped about writing these words and said she wants to take it to preschool to show all her friends because they will be so proud of her.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails