Sunday, March 27, 2011

This is why I stick to a routine

I could not wait until Saturday to go to the grocery store...alone!  I knew Jason didn't have to work Saturday so I was looking forward to a nice, peaceful shopping trip all by myself.  Believe it or not, there are some weeks when that is my only "me time."  When we woke up Saturday morning, I told him I was going to the store.  Jason decided that he wanted to go, too.  I tried to explain that it is very difficult to shop with two kids and a husband.  I know you all might find this shocking (insert sarcastic tone here), but I have a very specific way of grocery shopping. Usually, just the girls are with me so I have to contain Kaitlyn in the cart and Kinsey has the job of looking for all of the items I call off on the list.  I keep diligent track of my spending on my calculator, make sure I've used all of my coupons, mark things off of the list, all while pushing the cart with a smile and maintaining sanity.  Usually, Jason is not with us.  So when he came along, it threw everyone off of their shopping trip routine.
As soon as we got into the store, Jason wanted to push the cart.  I thought this was fine...one less thing I have to do.  Kinsey wanted to mark things off of the list.  She is a proficient reader so why not let her mark things off?  Kaitlyn wanted to hold the coupons.  That's fine right?  They are all stored nicely in my filer.  What could go wrong?  Everyone had a job; it was time to get shopping.
Aisle one.  
I start putting items in the cart and tell Kinsey to mark them off of the list.  Problem 1:  she can't find them on the list as quickly as I am putting them in the cart.  Result:  We have to stop frequently and abruptly to find them for her.
Aisle two.
I open a freezer and turn around to put the items in the cart.  Problem 2:  Jason has put bonus items, not on the list (like $3.25 ice cream), in the cart without telling me.  Result: My diligent calculation of all items is not correct because my husband wants to sneak ice cream into the cart.
Skip to Aisle five.
I don't have my list in my hands.  My six year old has it.  Problem 3:  I realize that I forgot items on the opposite side of the store.  Result:  I run circle around the store at least four times.  
Aisle six.
Jason sneaks brownies in the cart.  Problem:  He couldn't just choose the $1 brownies.  He had to have the hot fudge lava brownies that were $3.50.  Result: frustration.
Aisle seven.
Going through my list in my head, I know I am about half way through.  I ask Kinsey what has not been marked off yet.  Problem 4:  She informs me that she has marked everything off already.  I took the list from her because there was no possible way we got everything.  She was right.  She literally marked everything off because I was putting things in too quickly for her so she just marked all items off.  Result:  extreme frustration.
Aisle...lost count by this time.
Miraculously, I realize that I am under budget and ask if there is anything else we need.  We decided that we need new toothbrushes.  That is great because I had a coupon for toothbrushes so we go pick them up.
Checkout.
I give the cashier all of my coupons.  She scans them all and wouldn't you know it...my toothbrush coupon is expired and she wouldn't take it.  Go figure!
Next weekend, I might fight a little harder to go alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Ellie, and I have all 3 gone to the grocery store 1 time and I refuse to do it again! I absolutely will not take Kevin to the store with me again. Don't feel bad, I think every mother is the same way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails