Sunday, March 4, 2012

A very special classroom visit

This week has been so busy!  

First, a weight loss update...As of today, I have lost a total of 60 lbs. Yesterday I put on a pair of jeans I haven't worn been able to wear since before Kinsey was born (yes, she is seven years old).  Jason has also continued his weight loss and is up to a 40 lb. weight loss.  I know it is cliche but if we can do it, seriously anyone can!  We have learned so much in the past four months about healthy eating and exercising.  It is a long process but it is so rewarding as you see results.  If you are trying to lose weight, just keep going and stay motivated!

This week was an exciting one in my classroom.  One of my biggest mentors in education, specifically in the world of reading and writing, visited my classroom.  Katherine Bomer was in town this week all the way from Texas.  I have been working with her for the past six years and am continually inspired when she comes to visit.  Her passion for teaching students and teachers truly resonates with me.  Lately, I have found myself thinking about the possibilities of other kinds of work in education.  I really want to write a book for teachers.  I have so many ideas on where to go with a book idea...just the possibilities of it excites me!  I know, again, I'm speaking in cliches but I really want to extend my passion beyond the classroom.  

Along with Katherine, I hosted about 15 other teachers from around the Indianapolis area who were learning about Critical Literacy as well.  We spent all day Friday discussing what is happening in my classroom and the work we have been doing with Critical Literacy and writing for Social Action.  My 5th grade students and I were fortunate enough to have Katherine partner with me to teach a lesson Friday morning around this kind of work. It was amazing to see my students using the foundation of Critically Literacy in their discussions with each other and with Katherine.  I could tell that they felt empowered in the work they were doing.  As they walked out of the classroom at the end of the lesson, I heard one boy say, "I feel like we were just in Washington D.C."  It was so moving for us to know that they felt like this kind of work was that important...which, by the way, it is.  

Katherin Bomer and I in my classroom














If you are interested here are some of Katherine Bomer's amazing books:




1 comment:

Kara @ Just1Step said...

Wow congratulations on the weight loss!!! That is WONDERFUL! :)

And so neat about Katherine visiting. Very cool that you are passionate about your work. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails