Jason and I decided to brave Black Friday for one item. Yes, one item in hopes that we would actually get it when we got there. Kinsey has been wanting a Nintendo DS for over a year now. When Walmart advertised they would have them for $89 from 5-11am only (while supplies last), we knew what we had to! I admit, I kinda felt like we should have put on our war paint and dressed in camo for this! I also have to admit that we've never been to Walmart on Black Friday so we really didn't know what to expect. Armed with nothing but stories of experiences from friends and our bank cards, we set out and arrived at Walmart at 4am.
Madness. It was pure madness. After walking past it about five times, we finally found the line we were supposed to be in. I walked up and got a wristband, which you must have to get whatever it is you're in line for, the lady told me I got the last wristband. I truly felt like I'd won the golden ticket. We turned around and tried to find the end of the line...it only wrapped up and down three aisles and down a main aisle for what seemed like forever. All we had to do now was wait in said line and as soon as they opened it at 5am, we would be able to cross this present off of our list.
Once they opened, the line actually went really fast. We went up and down each aisle and finally made it to the final turn. We could see the employees handing out each DS as we moved one spot closer. So excited that we were the next ones in line!
"THIS IS THE LAST ONE!" some employee calls out. As if those words didn't hurt enough, he hands it to the lady directly in front of us. And I'm left standing DSless trying to show that I have a wristband too! Where is my DS that I just waited in line for over an hour for? The manager comes over and apologizes that something got counted wrong and they didn't have enough (No kidding! I kind of figured that out when I didn't get one.) The best he could do was take my name and number. He said they would try to locate another one and call me if they found it.
So I walked out. Defeated. Nothing to show for the hour and a half I just spent waiting.
Something in my head told me, there is no way they will call me. And if they do call me, will they still honor that amazing price? Probably not!
Later that evening we went to dinner in Garrett with my mom. Jason and I had to stop and get a birthday gift for our niece. Since we were so close, we just went to the Auburn Walmart. We decided to take a shot in the dark and ask if they had any of the DS's still. The words coming out of my mouth sounded ridiculous since we waited earlier that morning for an hour and a half at a different location and they sold out by 5:15am with a huge line of people that didn't get one. We also knew that the sale was only until 11am so we weren't expecting anything. By this time it was after 8pm.
The woman behind the counter said, "Well, I just sold one when I came in at 5pm. Do you want blue or red?" Both of us kind of went blank and we didn't really know what to say. We somehow managed to mumble out a color and she came back with it in her little hands. She rang it up and it was still $89.
We laughed the whole way out and said to each other that next year we will not be getting up early for any sales. But we will go to the Auburn Walmart around 8pm!
No comments:
Post a Comment