Sunday, September 12, 2010

Just like me

When I was in first grade, my parents took a trip to Hawaii.  Without my brother and I.  We were left behind to stay with relatives.  Part of the time we stayed with my granny and the other part of the time we stayed with my aunt.  It just so happened that on the day that my parents were to return, we were with my aunt.  My aunt wanted my brother and I to look nice for my parents when we greeted them upon their arrival home.  After rummaging through my suitcase for clothes, she picked out a pair of pink corduroy overalls for me to wear.  I hated those overalls so much!  I did not want to wear them and protested having to be seen in public in them.  Of course my aunt said, "You look beautiful angel.  Don't you want to look nice for your mom and dad?"  I did want to look nice, just not in pink, corduroy overalls.
I, still to this day, have never forgotten that she made me wear those.  That is one memory that sticks out so vividly and I was only 6 or 7 years old.
Today Kaitlyn wanted to wear a dress.  I told her it was too cold for a summer dress but she could wear a dress with sleeves and we could put on tights and her boots.  It's kind of chilly out!  She did not want to wear the dress, tights, and boots.  I had to force them on her.  I found myself saying, "You look beautiful, Kate.  Don't you want to look nice for grandma when she comes?"  Of course she protested and cried because she did not like her outfit...which just happens to be a corduroy dress.

When I tried to take her picture, she wouldn't even look at me because she was so mad about having to wear this outfit.  I think it is the cutest outfit I've ever seen!  I had to capture this moment because I'm sure, when Katilyn is older and has a daughter of her own, she will want her to wear something she absolutely hates but looks adorable in.  If there would have been a picture of me taken in my pink corduroy overalls, I know it would have looked just like these pictures.
My mom always told me, "I hope you grow up and have one just like you."  Well, mom, I think I did.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails