Thursday, April 8, 2010

Perspective

I find myself reflecting a lot lately and trying to find some perspective in my own life. I find it so easy to allow myself to be impacted by things that are out of my control. Our school is going through a down staffing due to enrollment which has turned everyone's world upside down. Do we get to stay? Will we have to change schools? Not only does it create tension among the most amazing teachers I have ever met, it makes it really hard to focus on what is the most important...our kids.

I have faith. Lots of faith. I believe challenges are presented to people to teach them something valuable. I also believe that when you are in the midst of life's obstacles, if you pay attention, you find answers to help you understand.
I'm currently reading a book, mentioned here, called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. As I was reading the other night before bed, I read this part:

"At the age of three and a half, my family including all the other relatives decided it to move to Thailand," wrote Lia's sister May in an autobiography she was assigned in her eighth-grade Language Arts class at Merced's Hoover Junior High School.

On our way to Thailand was something my parent will never forget. It was one of the scariest time of my life, and maybe my parents. We had to walked by feet. Some of family, however, leave their kids behind, kill, or beat them. For example, one of the relatives has tried to kill one of his kid, but luckily he didn't died. And manage to come along with the group. Today, he's in America carrying a scar on his forehead.
My parents had to carried me and two of my younger sisters, True and Yer. My mom could only carried me, and my dad could only my sister, True with many other things which they have to carry such as, rices (food), clothing, and blankets for overnight. My parents pay one of the relative to carry Yer. One of my sister who died in Thailand was so tire of walking saying that she can't go on any longer. But she dragged along and made it to Thailand.
There was gun shot going on and soldier were close to every where. If there was a gun shot, we were to look for a place to hide. On our trip to Thailand, there were many gun shots and instead of looking for a place to hide, my parents would dragged our hands or put us on their back and run for their lifes. When it gets too heavy, my parents would tossed some of their stuff away. Some of the things they and throw away are valuable to them, but our lives were more important to them than the stuffs.


"You have had an exciting life!" wrote the teacher at the end of the essay. "Please watch verbs in the past tense."


Perspective. I immediately started crying during the first sentence. And the last sentence ripped my heart out. I shouted at that teacher with more anger than I have ever felt. And said out loud, as if I were talking to this student right in front of me, that I only wish I could write the way she did in this essay. I said myself that I get it. It's not about me. It's all about them, period.

I honestly thought that was the biggest sign I needed to put my problems in order. But apparently God thought I needed another subtle nudge. Tonight as I was checking out other blogs, I came across this post by Kayla Amiee called I'm going to title this "The one where I get some perspective" An absolute must read!

Perspective. I realized it doesn't matter where I teach. It just matters that I have a job doing what I love to do and praising God for the many blessings in my life. The stress over it, really doesn't matter. I found understanding and peace that it's out of my control and everything will work out just fine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails