I hate sleeping alone. I really, really hate sleeping alone. But this was just the case this weekend when Jason went to Manchester for alumni weekend and I stayed home so my dad could put in our garage door opener.
I tend to over exaggerate (I know, imagine that...me exaggerate!) the need for safety when I am home alone. Especially now because we are in a new house, new area, new addition..I'm just not comfortable yet. So last night I knew Jason wouldn't be home until sometime the next afternoon. As I was getting ready to go to bed, I made sure the door was locked (both locks), the garage door was locked, sliding glass door locked..I even slept with the TV in my bedroom on. I guess because in my mind a person doesn't want to break into a house with a TV on.
I quickly fell asleep. Around 2 am I heard a noise that woke me up. At first I thought I was dreaming and that it came from the TV. I listened again. No, I was not dreaming. It was clearly someone KNOCKING on my bedroom window. Who does that? As my heart is about to palpate right out of my chest..I thought of who might do that. Obviously, it was someone trying to get me and obviously they didn't give two hoots about my TV being on.
Naturally, I turn my TV off. Kind of like, if the TV is off they'll think no one is home and probably go away. Only I was too panicked to understand that if they are outside my bedroom window they could probably see the light from the TV turn off. I decided to go out to the living room to peek out the window and see if I can see anyone. I stand in the middle of the living room and it hits me that I don't have ANYTHING covering my windows in the living room all the way to the kitchen and sliding door. (We haven't been able to find any blinds or curtains that we really like for a reasonable price so anyone can just see right in) I realize I'm in plain sight so I hide in the hallway and I saw a shadow of someone at the front door...it was own husband who said he just wanted to come home from Manchester (a 2-3 hr. drive) instead of staying somewhere else!
Because of my exaggeration of safety, he didn't have the key to the top lock of the door and had no other way in because we just installed the garage door opener and it was locked. As I was opening the front door for him, still having heart palpation's, he simply asks, "Why did you turn the TV off when I knocked on the window?"
PS Kaitlyn thinks there are mermaids in our pond. I tried telling her otherwise...she wasn't buying it.
No comments:
Post a Comment