So I fulfilled the item on my list that said, "Carve pumpkins with Kinsey and Katilyn." Of course it couldn't go as easy as 'just carving pumpkins.' The girls both picked out their own pumpkins. We got them home and I had the girls change into over sized T-shirts so they wouldn't get pumpkin on their good clothes. Then...we began.
As I begin to cut them and take the top off of Kinseys, I see that it is completely rotted. Of course I don't dare tell her that because I really don't want to go back out in the pouring rain to get another pumpkin that may or may not be rotted too. I admit, I also wanted to avoid a melt down because Kaitlyn's pumpkin was better than Kinsey's (you know, not rotted). So I did my best to scoop everything out and scrape off all of the disgusting parts as I'm trying to hold in dry heaving. But I did, in the name of motherhood, I did. I had to keep saying, "You're almost finished Kacina. Just finish it."
I thought it would be fun to let the girls pick out a picture to carve onto their pumpkins. I for sure wasn't thinking that I would be the one carving them on the pumpkins...until I remembered that the girls are only 5 and 3 and probably shouldn't be carving with sharp knives. After I let them pick their pictures and tape them on the pumpkins, I realize that they picked the pictures that had the most intricate detail I've ever seen. I think I somehow picked up the kit for professional pumpkin carvers (I'm sure that's a real job somewhere). After looking at the pictures, I tried to talk them into the original triangle eyes, smile with a few teeth, maybe a circle nose. They had no interest in that after they got their hopes up with these crazy pictures.
I start carving and my smallest knife, the one they gave me for fine detail (because I had tons of it to do) BROKE. So I did the best I could with a larger knife that was still small enough to fit on my key chain.
Since the girls weren't carving, I asked them to go into their rooms and change back into their regular clothes.
The door bell rang.
I answered the door and met Scott. He immediately handed me a set of cutlery and asked if he could show me something. Being the kind of person who can't say no, I said yes. He disappeared for a moment and came back with a whole slew of things. I soon realized that he was selling Kirby vacuums. #1 I own a Kirby vacuum #2 My husband used to sell Kirby vacuums #3 They are $1500.00 #4 I will probably only buy one in my life time #5 I'm in the middle of carving a delicate pumpkin. All of that considered, I let him come in because I figured there had to be a small knife in that cutlery set I could use for my pumpkin.
As he is getting into his sales pitch, Kaitlyn walked out of the room, naked nonetheless (not so funny at that moment), and said, "You told me to go in my room and take my clothes off. I'm waiting for you." He looked at me with grave concern. I found myself trying to explain that my three year old doesn't always say all the facts. Like she should have said, "You asked me to change my clothes and I'm waiting on you to help me because my shirt is inside out and I can't do it myself." But she's three. And she doesn't say all the facts that you need her to say when a sales person is in the middle of the living room sweeping my carpet.
Needless to say, he wrapped up quickly. I asked for his card, just to be nice, so he didn't think it was a total waste of his time. He told me he was out of business cards. I'm pretty sure I won't ever be bothered by Kirby salesmen again. Hopefully cops don't show up...I'll have a lot of explaining to do.
2 comments:
Hahahahaha! Thats the best! :) Way to go Kaitlyn :) Can i borrow the girls when the crazy Jahovah witnesses come over ;) Anywhoo... glad to hear you took one for the team mom and gooped out all that rotten pumpkin... KACINA for BEST MOM AWARD! :) What a great blog post... Kudos! Hope all is well and will see you soon im sure :) Love and miss you!
Peed my pants a little bit reading your post! Gosh I would have LOVED to have heard that story in person! :) Love you and miss you!
Post a Comment