Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'm a Wilderness Girl


Anyone that knows me knows that camping is not something that I would consider a "fun" thing to do. I am not outdoorsy, I hate being hot, and I hate bugs. (Insert comment from Jill about how I would probably rather be sitting on a Cleopatra couch being fanned and fed grapes). Well, it's absolutely true. As you all know, I once lied in an interview for a camp job saying that I loved the outdoors. And we all know how that turned job turned out....
However, it is amazing the things we do for our children. Kinsey has wanted to go camping for a while now. I'm all about giving my kids real life experiences so....I had to go camping.
When we got to the camp site, I was hot. But somehow we got the tent set up. I'm not sure how because we had no idea what the heck we were doing. I kept thinking it was going to fall but it stayed up the whole night!
There was a lake that was right by where we set up our tent. These ducks kept coming up real close to the camp site. So brilliant me has this idea to feed the ducks some food that the girls didn't eat. When we first walked up to them, they kind of ran away so I assumed they would keep their distance. Not so. It was like a gang. When I threw the bread they all started running at us. Again, I'm not a real big animal person so wild ducks are really out of my comfort zone.
One of the best things about our camping trip was the camp fire and making s'mores. The girls have never had s'mores before so they had a good time roasting their marshmallow. They were fascinated with how gooey the marshmallow was and wanted to play with it more than eat it. But at least they got the experience.

We brought the air mattress to sleep on which I was so glad because I really didn't want the girls to sleep on the ground. However, when we got there we had no clue how we were going to blow it up with the pump we had because there was not outlet. So we made a quick trip to walmart and bought a different handheld blower upper for $25 (even though we already had one...it just needed to be plugged in)! We got back to camp and got our beds set up. As we were sitting around the fire, some other people started walking toward us with an air mattress in their hands. Literally, directly behind where we were set up-not even five feet-was an electrical outlet. These people started blowing up their bed and we about cried because we were sitting in front of this outlet the whole time and didn't even know it.
We had a very good time and the girls did too. I'm not going to say that I want to go again real soon, but I'm glad we were able to go so the girls could have the experience of sleeping in a tent.

2 comments:

Nick and Jill Juday said...

TOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!

Love you and miss you! :)

Emma and Greg said...

YEAH KACINA! :) Im so proud of you! and PS I LOVE that Kaitlyn is diggin into that smore while Kinsey is either smitten or holding a very nice conversation with hers... So cute! :) Love and miss you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails