Have you ever taken a class that drags on forever? That is the class I'm in right now. I'm learning a lot of great stuff that I'll probably never use. Luckily my district is paying me to take this class and I'm getting graduate credit for it too. Part of our class is to tutor a student two hours a day for seven days. The content we are supposed to teach them is all about syllable patters, spelling, and other stuff. It is really beneficial for very low or struggling readers. Of course I get a student that has no reading issues at all and is three grade levels above her own grade. I can't apply any of the concepts that we are supposed to be doing with them because she is way too advanced for them. I do them anyway and she gets finished with the drills in like 30 minutes...leaving us with an hour and a half for me to try to fill. I have one game that we play, which we have played about 1000 times, and she is now an expert at sorting words into the six different syllable patters. She got to choose a book to read so she reads two chapters to me everyday. I did my best to try to sway her to the one I wanted to read but she chose some black dinosaur book. She loves it...I think it's a pretty crappy book. At least she likes it and is interested in it. Oh well, only three more days!!
Every summer we usually take the girls out of daycare. It is so nice to spend that time with them because we get so busy during the school year. After this class, it will finally be time to stay home with them. We will have about a month and a half together before the school year starts again. Kinsey will be starting kindergarten in the fall as well. We took her to get her immunizations last week so that she would be all ready to start school. She knew ahead of time that she had to get shots and I tried my best to prepare her. She was very cool about it when we talked about shots. She acted like it was no big deal. We got to the doctor's office and she got her well child check up. Everything went great. The doctor told her she was very healthy and almost ready to start kindergarten. Kinsey said, "But I need my shots first." My first thought was 'oh good. She's going to do great. We won't have any problems.' Boy was I wrong. The nurse came in with four needles...FOUR! As soon as she saw those...it was all down hill from there. Needless to say she did not do as well as I had hoped. But she got through it and showed off her band aids to the kids at daycare. I just can't believe that she is going to be in kindergarten!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment